Saturday, April 16, 2011

Golfballs and bullets

After work this afternoon, I went to a driving range a few blocks from the office to hit some golf balls.  The office is at the edge of a rough neighborhood.  There have been several shootings in the past 10 years that we've had our office there.  I was almost finished hitting the bucket of balls, when I heard three gunshots behind me.  A few seconds later, I heard two of the bullets zip over my head and one of the bullets hit the trees behind me.  The last bullet hit the ground somewhere behind me.  There were five other people at the place hitting balls, too.  I squatted down when the first bullet zipped by.  The rest of the people stood around looking toward the sound of the gunfire.  One of the people said, "Was that gunshots?"  Another said, "I think something hit the ground back there."  A guy said he thought it was firecrackers.  I said, "That was definitely gunshots and those were bullets zipping past us."  One of the women was the daughter of the guy who owned the place.  She had her baby in a carrier.  She grabbed the baby and went to her SUV.  The husband, who thought it was firecrackers, grabbed their clubs and went to the car, too.  They left.  The other three people - a woman, man and their son - were standing looking toward the north, where the gunshots were from.  They discussed leaving or staying.  I finished hitting the rest of my golfballs - not very well, either.  The driving range manager came over and asked if everyone was ok.  He said he saw three guys running away from the trees behind us.  I don't think they were the ones shooting because the shots came from farther away than those trees.  Anyway, he called the cops.  The cops showed up in the area about the time I left.  There were a bunch of Mexicans doing some lawn work about a half block north of the driving range.  With all the cops milling around, they looked kind of nervous.  Anyway, guess today was just another day in the 'hood.

Oh, by the way, I was hitting the balls fairly well after not hitting a ball in about 3 years.

2 comments:

Tara said...

DAD! Holy CRAP! What in the WORLD?!? How did you not soil yourself??

Karen said...

*speechless*