Sunday, June 20, 2010

Stillwater to Midland

On Friday, Megan and I packed and loaded the U-Haul with all of her stuff.  By mid-afternoon, we were ready to roll.  I drove the Neon onto the trailer and when I tried to open the door, I could not because the trailer fender was in the way.  So, I crawled catlike out of the driver side window.  Well, maybe not so catlike.  NASCAR driver-like, maybe.  The fat guy through a small car window kind of crawling.  Later, I discovered that there was a way to move the fender so I could open the car door.  That came in handy later.


Debbie, Megan and I got up early Saturday morning and ate breakfast at IHOP.  By 7 a.m. we were on the road to Midland, TX.  Nine and one-half hours later, we were in Midland.  Unloaded the truck first.  Got everything ready to unload the Neon off of the trailer, but the battery was dead.  Tried three times to start the car.  Nuthin'.  So, Shawn talked to his neighbor across the street and that guy allowed us to pull the truck and trailer into an empty field.  The plan was to jump start the car after it was off of the trailer.  Shawn gave the car a shove and it rolled off of the trailer.  Well, more than one shove actually, but he was He-Man enough to get the car rolling with me sitting in it.  Anyway, after the car was off the trailer, Shawn observed that the radio was playing.  "How could the radio work if the battery is dead?"  Dunno.  So I tried to start the car again.  And... it started.  dang.  Shawn drove the car into the driveway.  Megan is at home in Midland.


Yeah, I know the car isn't in the driveway.  I took the photo on Sunday morning after Shawn and I went to Starbucks for coffee.

We ate dinner with Shawn, Zada, and Shawn's parents, Mike and Denise.  Good food and company at a Mexican restaurant.  Sunday morning, we ate with them again for father's day brunch at a pretty cool restaurant in downtown Midland.  Very good and various versions of eggs benedict.  My first time trying eggs benedict and certainly not the last.  Hopefully, not the last time to eat at either of those restaurants.  Mike and Denise seem like good people and look forward to getting to know them better.  As usual, Zada is fun to pester and gives it back, which is fun.  hee hee.

Shawn found a horned toad in his backyard on Sunday morning.  Funny since we were talking about them at Tara's last weekend.  Zada put him in their garden after she gave him a good looking over.


On the way to Midland, near Anson, TX, we saw a very high fence along the highway.  Near one corner of the fenced-in area, we saw several large antelope and a couple of smaller ones.  On the way home this morning, Debbie took photos of the two smaller antelope.  We did not see the larger ones.  The two smaller ones certainly noticed us parked on the side of the highway.


Debbie made it to somewhere between Lawton and Chickasha before I heard her say, "I can't be strong anymore!" and the tears started flowing.  Glad Megan moved to the edge of the 8 hour distance from where we are living.  I might have been fussing a bit, too.  hee hee.

7 comments:

Meg said...

Thank you guys for helping me! I love you both VERY much!

Meg said...

Oh, and I'm glad that I'm at the 8 hr distance too....but do wish it were quite a bit closer....

Roy and Debbie said...

If we do quick pit stops, I think we can do it in 7 hours. Hadda stop for a wee and a blizzard in Anson tho... hee hee

eleanor said...

Won't you be able to make better time in you car rather than the truck. I am going to try to encourage Mona and Phillip to make a trip to Carlsbad to Kenneth and Elizabeth's and maybe bum a ride to Megans. At least it is driving distance. Love ya all

Roy and Debbie said...

It is about 7 hours minimum in the car from Stillwater to Midland, if you stop just long enough to get fuel and visit the restroom.

Roy and Debbie said...

And, that was driving 75 mph as often as I could, which was most of the way.

Karen said...

If you get those mountain climbing pee contraptions (they have them for girls too :)...) then you don't have to make pee stops - heehee or should I say peepee.